March 24, 2014

It's more fun to just write it

I'm still working through the first novel, although it is at a place where I'm comfortably sending out queries, meaning it's a complete and "finished" novel, but there is always tweaking to be done.

As soon as I come up with a synopsis I'm happy with I'll start cleaning up novel number two while I wait for query replies.

But still, writing a novel is hard work.  In the process of stalling...er, researching, I mean...I was reading some blogs from a couple of other writers and just browsing around for some general tips on novel writing.

One thing I found is that there are a lot of writers that don't write a novel the same way I do, which is to basically sit down and come up with it as I write it. I might do some loose outlining as ideas come, but for the most part, it's some much more fun to sit back and watch the novel take on a life of its own as the plot develops.

Quite a few sites recommended coming up with a complex outline or synopsis before you even write the first word.  I can honestly say that that sounds like a really boring way to write, and for me, it would take all of the creativity out of it.  I've tried this on a few short stories and instead of writing and creating I only found myself forcing my writing to stay within the confines of the outline.  Boring.

Another somewhat common (surprisingly) suggestion was to use the "note card method" that my college English professors spoke so highly of.  That one I still don't get.  You write down bits and pieces of your plot on 3x5 note cards and then for some reason arrange them on the floor (apparently in a random Tarot card pattern) and then somehow develop an outline from that.  Like I said, I don't get it.

I only know what works for me.  Again, I'm not against outlining.  I have a basic page-long outline for the next novel I plan to write.  Just what works for me is to know as little about the story before I begin so that I can have fun watching it develop.  It keeps me interested and I can often surprise myself when things happen that I didn't plan for.  After the first draft is complete is when I draw up the detailed plot outline and use it to find any problems with the story as I tighten up the plot.


No comments:

Post a Comment