I hate comic books.
No, that's not entirely true. It's not so much comic books themselves that I hate. There are plenty that I really enjoyed over the years. Preacher, Swamp Thing, Hellblazer, and Spawn were all a lot of fun. Sandman was better than a lot of books I've read.
The problem is all the baggage owning them entails. You can't just stick 'em in a box and forget about them. You have to store them in individual bags with cardboard. And you have to keep them standing upright in giant white boxes. In my case, 10 giant white boxes. Each box weight around 75 pounds, but it might as well be 375 pounds. That's how is feels after carrying a couple of them up and down the stairs.
I really don't mean to gripe, but sometimes you just have to. Since I had separated out all of the completed sets into smaller boxes, my 10 giant stackable white boxes have become over 20 non-stackable smaller boxes, which are now scattered all over the basement. They're a little more exposed now too, most likely a prime target for the cats to chew on / puke on / pee on or do any other number of things that cats do.
Well, there's not too much I can do about it other than get them sold. I'll list the full sets and single issues on a variety of places, including craigslist, ebay, and a couple of sites that buy comics. We'll see how it goes.
I don't necessarily regret buying them, but if given the change to go back and do it all over again, I definitely wouldn't. (Or is that the definition of regret?) Either way, that's the test Dave Ramsey gives people when it comes to selling something. If you could buy it today, would you? The answer is "no" so that means the comics need to go.
I would still pick up the graphic novels to Sandman and Preacher though. And maybe some of the Alan Moore Swamp Thing and Garth Ennis's run of Hellblazer. That's still great stuff.
I'll start listing stuff this weekend and post a happy-braggy post after they are all gone.
No comments:
Post a Comment