June 25, 2014

Take-away from Divergent

As the old saying goes, "read like a writer."  (Note: I have no idea if that is actually an old saying, or if I pulled it out of my you-know-what at the last minute.)  Either way, it is good advice.

I know I've mentioned this in previous posts, but I often listen to audiobooks during my commute to work.  Not only do they help make the hour-long drive more bearable, but I can usually learn something from them.  Most of the time, I'll choose books on money, leadership, or success, but I also try to pick up the occasional fiction as well.


Right now, I'm currently listening to Divergent by Veronica Roth.  I wasn't too impressed with it after the first disc, but now I'm a little over half way through and I love it.  It's got some problems, sure, but I'll cover those when I write a quickie review after I finish it.

For now, I want to talk about why I am enjoying it thus far, and what I'm learning from reading it.

A common thing English teachers ask is "What's at stake?" when you're reading a book.  When they ask that question, they show that they really don't understand what makes good writing.  What's "at stake" doesn't make any difference when it comes down to it.  It could be the fate of the universe or it could be the fate of an ant farm.

What's more important is that the reader feels a sense urgency about it.  If the fate of the universe is at stake, but the characters are more concerned with the World Cup, then when the story works itself out, the reader doesn't care.  But if a character is willing to risk his life, his cat's life, and his favorite car to make sure that his ant farm survives long enough to make it the science fair, then the reader can feel the urgency of the story.

And that's what makes Divergent so good.  It's setting and plot are interesting, but what makes the story is that you get right into the main character's head, relate to her, and cheer for her as she (hopefully) gets out of the situation she has found herself in.

The author makes sure you know that what's happening is important.  And really, that's all it takes to make a good story.

No comments:

Post a Comment