May 1, 2014

Writing Goals for May

Well, I didn't hit most of my writing goals for April.  I did write; in fact I wrote quite a bit.  My only problem was that I didn't finish anything.  I think part of the reason was that I took the approach of working only on what I felt I should be working on instead of what I wanted to work on.

That's good when you're at your job and hitting the higher priority projects first, but when writing fiction?  Not so much.  I wanted to finish a story, so I (mostly) randomly picked one.  The one I picked is one that I'm having trouble with and therefore lost a lot of time struggling with it and rewriting a lot of scenes. 

This month, I'm going to try things a little differently.  If I run into trouble with anything, I'll move on to something else--something more fun to write.  Instead of forcing through a story that my heart's not into at the moment, I'll work on something that gets me excited to read it.  Even if that means the third novel that is running through my head, which would be a ton of fun to write :)

Something else I'm toying around with is my other site.  In previous carnations, it's been a Pink Floyd fan site, a libertarian commentary site, and a personal blog used for sharing whatever nonsense I felt like talking about, usually pro-wrestling or cryptozoology. 

Anyhow, I've got an idea of something I'd like to do with the site, but I'm still figuring out when I'll be ready to pull the trigger.  Right now it's down for redesign.

One thing that won't change this month is that I'll still send out an agent query every Thursday.  One query per week may not be as much as they recommend, but I'll up that to two per week once I have my second novel ready.

So that's it.  Have a good productive month and we'll see where we are in June.


No comments:

Post a Comment