February 18, 2014

OK, No More Screwing Around

I like writing. 

I like heading downstairs to the computer room after the kids go to bed.

I like dimming the lights and picking out the best suited music for what I'm working on.  If it's a weekend, I might pour a glass of scotch as well.

And then I open up my documents folder and---oh wait.  I should probably check Duotrope.com and see if any of the publications I have pending short stories at have responded to any requests today... Done.

Okay, I open my my documents folder and then--oh wait.  I was either at work or watching the kids all day so I didn't get to catch up on the daily pro-wrestling news at pwinsider.com. 

Okay, after that's out of the way, it probably wouldn't hurt to check Drudge just in case there's been any news since I turned off the TV a couple of hours ago.  You know, like terrorist attacks or maybe the flying saucers are finally coming.  Nope.  All is well.

But speaking of flying saucers, I haven't checked out rense.com today either...

Okay, now it's for real.  Let's open up that document.  That short story that's on the final revision.  No, never mind.  I'm supposed to be getting that novel revised, so let's open it up instead.  Should probably work on renaming some characters.  Maybe the town name too.  There are plenty off good name and town generator sites out.  Let's check 'em out...

Okay, now we're ready.  Really for real this time.  Except that it's cold and I should probably turn on the space-heater.  And the kids have been asleep long enough that it should be safe to get some cheese and crackers out of the kitchen.

And then I'll start working on that revision.  What was I doing?  Oh yeah.  Researching names.  And places.  We need to get the main character a new name.  Or town?  Who knows, but I'm sure he needs one.  Why else would I be "revising" right?

But I haven't even looked at my email yet.  And twitter?  Sometimes I get some great advice on there.  It never hurts to give it a look real quick.

It might even be a good time to research some potential agents for when I'm ready to query.

I wonder if there's been any new links on Drudge in the last ten minutes.

Okay.  NOW, it's time to write.

Or maybe I should grab that second glass of scotch first.  You know, before I really get started.

No comments:

Post a Comment