February 26, 2014

My Progress Report for 2014 (so far)

With February coming to an end, I thought this would be a good time to post some of my writing stats since the first of the year.  This is really something I'm doing just to help keep me accountable and see my progress (or lack thereof) for the month.

Also, for any other writers reading this who are around the same level, maybe we can share misery if you haven't had a great couple of months (from the publishing point of view), or bask in your greatness if you had a much better January and February than me :)

So here we go:

Since the first of the year, I wrote two new short stories, both flash fiction.  That's by no means great, but for me it's not too bad considering everything else I had going on.

I submitted eight short stories and as of this writing, received five rejections (2 personal, 3 form) bringing my 2014 acceptance ration to...wait for it.... ZERO.  But the year is young, so I'm not too discouraged about it. I spent a lot of time on my second novel before deciding to take a break from it and work on some other projects.

There have definitely been some high points this year so far too.  I had two short stories published (2013 acceptances) and two more are scheduled in the next couple of months.  I wrote a guest post for Garden Gnome Publications and have really been putting effort into this blog, with a whopping 40 posts for the year.  I'm also finishing up another revision of my first novel and am on course to start sending out queries next month.

All in all, it hasn't been a great couple of months, but it hasn't been terrible by any means.  The only way to win is to keep working at it, and that's exactly what I plan to do. 

I'll post another progress report at the end of March and see where I'm at.  And if you're an aspiring or fledgling writer, feel free to leave a comment and share your 2014 progress report too.

No comments:

Post a Comment