October 9, 2014

Finished up a horror writing class

Tonight we finished up a five week class on horror writing at the local library. It was fun. I'm genuinely sad that it's over. I really looked forward to spending two hours every Thursday night talking about horror and writing.

The topic each week was a general writing topic, such as character building, plotting, or tropes, with a focus on how use these in horror. It's always a good refresher to attend courses like this.

I took away a lot from this class. I ended up with two new flash stories and the first five pages of a new short story. Currently pretty pitiful first drafts, but that's why we workshop things. Another thing I gained from this class came from the fact that we needed to read our work to the group. This is something I've always been afraid to do. Fortunately, the relaxed atmosphere of the class made this easy.

It was a very small and casual group. Because of this, we discussed general horror more than writing technique, which was fine with me. The instructor, and at least one of the students, were WAY more up to date on modern horror than me, so I learned all sorts of things about what makes current horror tick.

There's like this huge underbelly of horror that I knew nothing about, things like the SCP Foundation, Five Nights at Freddy's, and Creepy Pasta, which I am sort of familiar with but still don't completely get.

Anyhow, it was awesome to see what kind of horror other people are into. My biggest problem when writing horror is that I tend to write only the type of horror story I know. This course taught to go out and explore the genre a little more. And see what I can come up with on my own.

It was totally worth attending and I'm glad I did. I'll be back tomorrow with Five Links Friday and new flash fiction on Theme of Absence. See you then!

Image by wolfgangfoto

No comments:

Post a Comment