September 8, 2014

Blog Update: Writer Resources

One of my initial goals when I began blogging here was to help new writers find advice and helpful resources, as well as answers to some of the common questions new writers have about writing and publishing.

The only thing I knew when I first started out writing a few years ago, was that I didn't really know anything.  Sure, I read a lot, and I dabbled in fiction in the past, but even in college creative writing classes, we weren't taught anything concrete.  It was mostly a free-for-all with no foundation filled with cliches such as "show don't tell" and "write what you know."

When I finally decided to try writing fiction on my own, I went in with no knowledge at all.  I just figured, hey, I'll try writing and see what happens.

This didn't work out very well.  While I did finish a few first drafts, they read more like scenes of a novel than complete stories.  They broke so many rules and contained so many cliches that had anyone read them at the time, they would have kicked me off the island.

But fortunately, one can improve with knowledge and practice.  When it comes to practice, you're on your own.  But knowledge?  Yeah, let's give that a try.  I'm going to start a new feature on this site where I'll review a writing resource, book, video, or site every Monday (give or take) and share what I've gained by using it.

It's been almost five years since I wrote the first draft of my first short story, but I've only been serious about writing for the last two.  In other words, I'm still a newbie with a lot to learn.  But I do hope that what I have learned in the last few years will be of some use to you other newbies out there.

If anything, I'd like to at least help you avoid making the same mistakes I have in those first few years of writing.  I'll be back with a regular post tomorrow, and next Monday I'll post the first of the new writing resources series.

So until then, TGIM and have a great week!

Image by Keith Williamson

No comments:

Post a Comment