So here's a question... Some of my favorite (or best?) short stories haven't yet been published. That's life, I know, and it's also how publishing works. My conundrum, however, is that some of these stories keep getting shortlist rejections, sometimes with feedback, from pro or at least semi-pro publications.
The question (after all that) is that I'm not sure if I should continue submitting to pro-payers and hope that eventually someone will pick it up, or submit to a lower paying, lower circulating publications with higher acceptance rates just to get them off my pending list. (Yes, I know that's making the bold assumption that every token-payer out there is just jumping at the chance to buy my stories.)
Anyhow, if you look at my current publication list, you'll see that I have no problems whatsoever submitting to smaller markets. My only concern comes with the stories that have come close to acceptance in pro-paying markets on several occasions. I kind of feel like if a story is good enough for a bunch of "almosts" at some of the more known markets, I'd hate to give up first rights to a publication with a much smaller audience.
On the other hand, nothing bad can ever come out of selling a short story. Every publication you can add to your author's bio increases your credibility and marketability in one way or another. And regardless of how small the publication is, someone is reading it. If you have a killer story in the magazine or anthology, at least a few people will share it. In a best case scenario, you might even help increase sales and get some name value in the small press world. Who knows?
Anyhow, I didn't really answer my original question here. What I normally do is search duotrope.com for markets that either pay token or higher (or royalties) and then if I think my story fits the publication, I'll send it without worrying about the final pay or circulation numbers.
Maybe in the end that is still the best method. Let me know what you think.
No comments:
Post a Comment